View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #34
Adina

Default Re: [House Rules] Crakkerjakk's Reduced Skill List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
The second step was to harness the power of specialties. Basically you can cut down a lot of clutter if instead of three specialties of Driving on the sheet you can just put down Driving. So almost all of the skills with required specializations are a difficulty class higher and no longer require a specialization.
Sounds familiar. ;)

Quote:
Body Language Skill eliminated. Detect Lies gets a +2 bonus if you can see your target's body language.
Mysteries specifies Detect Lies as using verbal cues, while Body Language uses physical/visual cues. So I would make them optional specialties of the same skill.

Quote:
Dancing Now a specialty of Performance
I would keep this but then I am a dancer. Lots of dancing isn't for performances.

Quote:
Esoteric Medicine Skill eliminated. This is just a different name for Physician/TL1-4
Herb Lore Skill eliminated. This is just a different name for Pharmacy(Herbal)/TL1-4
These are not universally just alternate names. In some settings they are distinct skills. I could see taking Esoteric as a specialty of physician. As some noted Herbal Lore is closer to Alchemy than to Pharmacy.

Quote:
Group Performance One example of a professional skill
Not an optional specialty of Performance or Choreography?
Quote:
Guns(SMG, Shotgun, Rifle, and LMG) Replaced by Guns(Longarm), which is for any weapon fired by placing in the shoulder and aiming down the weapon.
What about Guns(GL) and Guns(LAW)?
Quote:
Saber Skill eliminated. Subsumed under related skills (smallsword, shortsword, broadsword, etc)
You could substitute Short Staff as a fencing skill.
Quote:
Musical Composition Now a specialty of Artist
Not a Musical Instrument technique?
Quote:
Parachuting Now a specialty of piloting
SCUBA Now a specialty of Submarine
Not a good fit, but I'm not sure where to put them either.
Quote:
Poetry Now a specialty of Artist
Perhaps of Writing or Public Speaking instead.
Quote:
Speed-Reading Skill eliminated. Now a perk. Roll v. IQ to see if you recall what you read.
Consider this borrowed.
Quote:
Crafting (IQ/VH) contains Armoury, Jeweler, Mechanic, Smith, Electrician, Machinist, Carpentry, Leatherworking, and Masonry.
Electronics (IQ/VH) contains Electronics Operation and Electronics Repair.
I think Electrician fits better with Electronics.
Quote:
Humanities (IQ/EH) contains Artist, History, Philosophy, Theology, Connoisseur, and Literature.
Artist is already a very broad skill with your added specialties. And its more of a 'make something' skill than a 'understand and appreciate' one. I would pull it out of Humanities.

Artist, Performance, and Sleight of Hand are close to being super-skills with the added specialties. I do like the grouping you have though.

I am still thinking on it but my first thought is that EH skills should be double the cost of a VH skill, rather than one step harder. I need to crunch the numbers some more.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Quote:
I've uploaded an .ods file to my site (link is in the sig) that has lists of skills from the Basic Set, GURPS Lite, an expanded list of skills (though not with all the optional specialties from basic entered) and the compressed list.
Unfortunately my Vista/Office 2003 computer keeps trying and failing to open the .ods file as a Word file.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote