View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #80
tanksoldier

Default Re: Exotic Governmental/Legal Systems

Quote:
But if it's pointed out in the 1958 novel I'd like you to indicate the relevant passage.
"Why, the purpose is," he answered, hauling off and hiding me in the knee with a hammer (I kicked him, but not hard), "to find out what duties you are physically able to perform. But if you came in here in a wheel chair and blind in both eyes and were silly enough to insist on enrolling, they would find something silly enough to match. Counting the fuzz on a caterpillar by touch, maybe. The only way you can fail is by having the psychiatrists decide that you are not able to understand the oath."

I didn’t bother to list the various non-combatant auxiliary corps because, if I wasn’t picked for a combat corps, I didn’t care whether they used me as an experimental animal or sent me as a laborer in the Terranizing of Venus — either one was a booby prize

Some of them were dropped without prejudice and allowed, if they wished, to sweat out their terms in the non-combatant services;

And you have forgotten that in peacetime most veterans come from non-combatant auxiliary services and have not been subjected to the full rigors of military discipline; they have merely been harried, overworked, and endangered — yet their votes count."
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote