View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #10
Daigoro

Default Re: [Game] Generate a Space Trader Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
A rutter is a description of how to get somewhere. THink of it as navigaitonal instructions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutter_(nautical)
I see, cool. Like a kind of nautical almanac. I thought it might've been a typo, because a quick Google didn't find anything that looked relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
... they can jump as soon as the navigational calculations are finished. (They have big computers too)
2.5) star charts as well as "stellar positioning systems" greatly speed up the process of figuring out exactly where you exited. A key part of the following jump calculations. Up to date information regarding "jump" conditions at a desired destination can aid in improving jump accuracy.
I'm not sure that position calculations are a difficult thing. If you can find the centre of the galaxy and some external landmark- Andromeda or the Large Magellanic Cloud- it should be pretty easy to triangulate. OTOH- astronomers today have trouble gauging the distance to the galactic core, so it may remain an observational problem rather than a computational one.

And calculation of your route should be easy enough- just point and shoot, right? And for the long range/low accuracy schema, if you know you're going to miss your target whatever you do, you'd just point roughly in the right direction knowing you'd have to do many short jumps at the other end. I guess it's the short jumps which need more accuracy...

We have 2 questions open now-
Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
How is policing the common laws handled? Organised force? Contractors? Something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Question: We know that there is a 'primo' hyper drive, but is what kinds of 'secret' navigational or rutter programs and databases exist to take advantage of improvements in distance and accuracy?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote