Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #67
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: New Skills

Languages – Hmm. Having anything that costs less than 1 point add complexity. I suppose we might say “For a half-point, you can learn a language well enough to read it if you are Literate, and speak it well, but with an accent. For a full point, you sound like a native.” But that leaves a loose half-point floating around. Kind of GURPSy.

Mimic – yes, I agree that should be cut down in cost. Done.

Monster Followers – I have wondered how much those get used. They definitely have no basis in reality. Should I consider deleting them and using the space for other things, and possibly doing a whole splatbook, or section of a monster book, about it? Discuss, please.

Two Weapons – I can see cutting that cost to 2. Heck, I fought with two weapons in the SCA, modestly well, and it did not fry my brain. I think it’s too powerful, mechanically, to cut to 1.

Boating – Rick, are you suggesting it is too trivial, in the game world, to be a talent?

Remember, “memory” is also taking in continued training time.

Reduce IQ prereqs for UC talents – Maybe. They require dedicated training but not genius. Discussion?

I have also cut Expert Naturalist to 2 since it has to stack on top of Naturalist.

First Aid – Does the first aid that you know take up 10% of your memory? I think that from the game standpoint I’d rather push them to spend the points on Physicker. And first aid as I learned it in the Scouts does not heal wounds, even a little – it just stabilizes the victim while the EMTs are on the way. TFT deliberately has no “bleeding out” rules, so “real” first aid is not needed anyhow.

Jeff Lord – Interesting idea.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote