View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #18
RedDragon

Default Re: GURPS 3e & 4e Metal Gear Solid

@ warellis I'd Say probably TL8+2. It's similar enough to modern predictions of the VR capabilities of the (relatively) near future, but I think it is different enough from TL10 to be considered TL8+2 (plus this goes with the whole "alternate tech path" theme of the Metal Gear series.

@Ryujin: The choice to make the Railgun a striker arm but not the radome was an easy one for me. I figured the radome couldn't exert enough force effectively enough to qualify even as a striker arm (it's short and stubby, like a T-Rex's.) The Raigun seemed long enough to qualify as an arm, and could theoretically be used as a spatula to pick things up, but not very effectively, hence the low ST. Keep in mind that arm is about 94% gun. I don't think you would lift with it. The thrusters are there because REX can jump in the games. His Drivetrains, powerful though they are, would probably crumple under its own weight if he tried jumping without the thrusters. He can't fly though.

I didn't think it was sealed because the graphics of it when closed seemed to indicate it wasn't airtight. Also, the cockpit was shown exploding at one point, right? I don't think there was an extinguisher system. REX's "official" stats (from the Metal Gear Solid: Official Mission Handbook) states it has a fuel capacity of 5,550 liters (or ~1,505 gallons). The stats also say that his maximum range without refueling is ~935 miles, about 5 times the amount the 5,550 liters provides. I had to cut corners somewhere...

The Volumes are so massive in order to correlate with REX's official volume in cf: 182,000. I calculated it based on his length times his width times his height, and that's what I came up with. I think it's technically correct, though I agree it seems excessive. The radome's comparatively massive HP (1,120 was the original amount) would have made it take far longer to destroy with the Stinger Missiles.

As I stated in another post, the TL15 armor was necessary due to weight constraints (at the time I was more than 20,000 lbs over the target weight of 115,000 [which is about equal to his official weight in kilograms]) I wanted to use TL9 Composite Armor as it seemed closest to the description, but I couldn't spread that amount of weight over his massive frame. I also wanted to use the heavy frame, but the weight problem was there too, and I figured the HP would be high enough anyway due to REX's huge mass.

The access space is the minimum required.

Last edited by RedDragon; 07-07-2015 at 12:04 PM.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote