View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #9
tanksoldier

Default Re: What does a computer really do for you?

With internet access I would allow a Research roll to give the benefits of the largest library within a few minutes, rather than hours or days.

If someone downloaded it in advance I’d allow the same benefit without access but you’d have to define better what areas of knowledge were saved and at what level. A downloaded encyclopedia would give almost instant access to basic facts without even a roll.

Even with a smart phone you have maps, GPS guidance, calculators, digital still and video camera, sound recording, compass, flashlight, locator beacon, access to the internet knowledge library and a downloaded selection of books but somewhat more limited than an actual laptop.

A sat phone has all that but isn’t limited to the cellular network.

Quote:
For a research about a very detailed and precise topic, for instance, the Web doesn't really give a lot of answers
Google, true but there is easy online access to professional journals, books and publications as well. That would be reasearch using the regular time rules I think but any topic would be available given time and perhaps a trivial expenditure for subscriptions. Anything anyone has ever published is available somewhere online if you know where to look.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-21-2018 at 01:12 PM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote