View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #24
TheAmishStig

Default Re: BEACH Overlays/Hexes/Tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Drop the part about road/RR bonus being intact. The original point of marsh was to simply negate the water's "you must stop at the edge" clause. This also brings up the reminder: Is this supposed to be a full-hex thing, or a hex-side thing (it started out has hexside terrain)?
10-4...I'm not exactly attached to that part. It made sense to copy-paste from Broadway Phil's take on it given that it's a property of the only other tile that allows water <-> land without stopping, but ultimately it's not something I have any conviction towards.

My understanding of the issue at play is that we're looking for a way to transition between water and coastal wetlands (such as a river delta / bayou / etc) without stopping at the edge, since in that situation it doesn't make real-world-analogue sense to skim across the surface of the water and then have to full-stop before continuing to skim across the surface of the water...that the 'stop' rule conceptually represents the delay in climbing river banks and shorelines that aren't conducive to landings.

From there it's kinda grown and evolved since I first proposed the Marsh hexside as a solution (and coined the name). You brought up concerns about the ramifications of printing hexsides [as to really take off they'd have to be printed for the game], as well as the ramifications of using Beaches or Ramps to achieve the effect, which is what led me to suggest something dedicated. Broadway Phil had a stroke of brilliance in suggesting "Variant of Swamp, instead of dedicated anything", which eliminated the need to make special overlays just for Marshes, either ovals or hexes.

N+1th verse: "Marsh is a variant of Swamp. A GEV entering a Marsh is required to make a 'disabled by terrain' roll, but is not required to stop due to terrain if it succeeds on that roll. A GEV is not required to stop before transitioning between a Water hax and a Marsh hex, or vice-versa. For all other purposes, treat a Marsh hex as if it is a Swamp hex."
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote