View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #28
momothefiddler

Default Re: [RPM] Altered Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Well, some stuff like being able to heal Major Wounds caused by burning or something like that.
Ooh, okay. Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
See, here's the thing. Sometimes you can achieve effects only with Altered Traits - and that's cool. Sometimes you can achieve effects without Altered Traits - also cool. Then there are times when you can do both - here is where it is not cool. If you can achieve a desired spell by just using a Effect then adding a Altered Trait feels like paying for it twice. Usually this takes the form of something like Transmogrification where turning your enemy into a frog is way harder than it should be. The trick to adding Altered Traits is more about how the GM is perceiving your spell than anything else (other than the guidelines I posted). So if you think you (the GM) should add Altered Traits for something, then do so...but don't punish your players for coming up with inventive solutions.
I guess I'd just really like a treatment of what can be done without Altered Traits. Like how T:RPM discusses what Lesser and Greater effects can do - I want to know what they can do without extra spell effects so I have some way of knowing which effects need to be added and which are redundant. Like, Lesser Strengthen Body "can improve someone’s physical attributes or secondary characteristics by up to about 30% (rounded up)". I presume that requires Altered Traits. I suppose it's too late now, and it would have added a lot of extra wordcount, but it might have been nice to have something more like "Lesser Strengthen Body can __________. With the addition of Bestows a Bonus, it can ______________ and with Altered Traits it can _________________." or something similar. Because you reference the things the effects can do by themselves and I have no clue what those things are.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote