View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
Plod Hopper

Default Re: Which standee for pets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Keefe
It was intended that you remove the standie from the board and the monster is just represented by the card.
I'm sorry to hear that. I have bribed the Crawling Hand a couple of times in my adventures, and I liked having the little dude's standie sticking by my side as we tromped around in the dungeon together. The reasoning behind keeping the monster's standie on the board even after it became an "item" was because when the Crawling Hand became my pet it was explicitly excused from Monster Movement rules. Only Monsters can be exempt from Monster Movement. All Monsters have a base. Ergo the Crawling Hand remains a Monster, retaining its base and existence on the board, until the munchkin who bribed him wins or dies. Stay with me here:
If the munchkin who has control of the Crawling Hand ultimately wins the game, well then hip hip hooray, whatever, he was probably cheating anyway... But:
If the munchkin who bribed the Crawling Hand dies, he must drop all his items. Including the Crawling Hand, which (I contend) at this moment in time has un-become an item. It goes feral. It reasserts its Monsterness because the guy who had bribed it died, and it is no longer beholden to its late business associate with whom it has recently had the misfortune to part company. Now it's a free agent again, wandering, waiting to be killed for loot or bribed by any munchkin who encounters it.
Well, that's my argument for why a pet monster keeps it's standie, anyways. I play it that way in my games because I'm the owner of the set we play on, et al. Then again, I haven't been the player whose base is hijacked yet, so something tells me I'm going to see the other side of the argument at some point in the future.
And to the argument that it upsets game balance too much, I say: Well, golly, it looks like the Munchkin whose base has been hijacked is now playing with some kind of "modifier" affecting his game, and if he really wants his base back he should do all in his power to have the Munchkin who kidnapped his monster die.
Clincher:
Sometimes when I have an above-averagely spectacular turn, I grab my Munchkin and the Crawling Hand tokens and make them jump a few centimeters off the room tile and slap each other high-five in the air. "Wh-Psh!"
It's called moral support, people.
Plod Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote