View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #16
Phil Masters

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Code of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There are quite a few Codes of Honor defined, at least loosely, in GURPS supplements. Action has “Stay Bought,” Adaptions “Gentlewoman’s” and “Confucian,” and Aliens: Sparrials “Gentleman Thief’s.” [B]
“Gentlewoman’s” isn’t defined at all, actually; it’s merely listed on Elizabeth Bennet’s character sheet. As it’s valued at -10 points, I assume that the idea is that it’s the Gentleman’s Code, but as Lizzie is a lady, not a gentleman, it would be impolite not to correct the semantic gender.

However, I think this raises an issue. Of course Lizzie shares the values of her class, the Georgian gentry, and as she presents as a good person by that class’s standards, she’s as “honourable” as her male counterparts. But, this being a very gendered society and class, her Honour isn’t likely to get her into any duels or other armed conflicts; at most, she’ll carefully hand serious issues off to her male relatives to resolve by all honourable means. So I’d dispute that she has a -10 point Code. At most, it’s a -5 pointer; “Keep your word and treat all issues of honour seriously”.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote