View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #22
Polydamas

Default Re: [MA] Italian fencing description and the riposte

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Yes, of course I can. But when you said:

"issue of Pyramid with the designer's notes for GURPS Renaissance Florence have the writeups which stick closer to what a particular teacher or group of teachers taught in a specific place and time."

I took that to mean that I had missed the designer's notes on GURPS Renaissance Florence which included notes on period fencing, not a fictional fighting style.
Yes, it looks like I worded that poorly. Feel free to chose another illustrative example of a GURPS book with examples of styles taught at specific places and times, like the Martial Arts book for Yrth or GURPS Tactical Shooting.

Such designers notes may well exist, or I may have confused something by Matt Riggsby with a forum thread or blog post.

Also: here are some descriptions of hidden armour in the Medici arsenal around the time that the Pazzi tried to murder Lorenzo and Giuliano at Mass

And you can find James's thoughts from 1599 in the Basilikon Doron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James VI of Scotland
Let your selfe and all your Court weare no ordinarie armour with your cloathes, but such as is knightly and honourable; I meane rapier-swordes, and daggers: For tuilyesome weapons in the Court, betokens confusion in the countrey. And therefore bannish not onely from your Court, all traiterous offensiue weapons, forbidden by the Lawes, as guns and such like (whereof I spake alreadie) but also all traiterous defensiue armes, as secrets, platesleeues, and such like vnseene armour: For, besides that the wearers thereof, may be presupposed to haue a secret euill intention, they want both the vses that defensiue armour is ordained for; which is, to be able to holde out violence, and by their outward glaunsing in their enemies eyes, to strike a terrour in their hearts: Where by the contrary, they can serue for neither, being not onely vnable to resist, but dangerous for shots, and giuing no outward showe against the enemie; beeing onely ordained, for betraying vnder trust, whereof honest men should be ashamed to beare the outward badge, not resembling the thing they are not. And for answere against these arguments, I know none but the olde Scots fashion; which if it be wrong, is no more to be allowed for ancientnesse, then the olde Masse is, which also our forefathers vsed.
In other words, half the men at the Scots Court were wearing jacks of plates and secrets, but the King Did Not Approve. Apparently in his mother's time there had been innumerable fights with dirks in the hallways and courtyards.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote