View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
Icelander

Default Re: Magic items made from Great Red Dragon's corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Well it would not be 'being a huge red dragon' in the singular sense. It would be 'consuming an entire one of your 1000 point manastones, to be a huge red dragon, for one minute', or conversely for the same age as user dragon 'like shapeshift elephant, but with claws, and scales, and flight, and a natural breath weapon, and no chance of being stuck that way because it's racial average IQ is probably higher then yours'
Indeed it would. This would be rather beneficial, I should think.

On the other hand, even SM +1 is dangerous. SM +4 or more is fatal, usually. An endless stream of explosive missiles, killer spells and focused melee attacks. Aimed at vitals, armour gaps and eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I actually like handing out the 'immensely powerful but one use' items in my games. Ironically my experience is that PCs find it awesome to get them, dutifully write them down on there character sheets, and then refuse to use them except to threaten people because 'I only have ONE!'. For one particularly epic fight I awarded the party archer an 'arrow of annihilation' which destroys a 50 meter sphere at point of impact, he still has it ~300 quests later, and the most he has ever used it for was to knock it and THREATEN to use it.
Oh, I don't mind the power they'd get.

Indeed, how do you think the PCs killed the 150 meter long dragon in the first place?

The issue is that they're rather have items they can use to attack conspicious foes while remaining SM 0 and able to take cover themselves.