View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #31
whswhs

Default Re: Drinking During An RP Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I think one of the reasons I tend to keep dry is because I don't think of gaming as a social activity like a dinner party where we might all drink...but instead like a professional hobby like doing community theater...and I'd never drink while doing a play. Afterwards? Sure. But not during.
That's my stance too.

There's a sort of spectrum from "rpgs as casual entertainment" to "rpgs as improvisational art." This isn't a question of "fun versus not fun"; people who do the improvisational art approach, like me, are doing it because we enjoy improvisational art. But my tastes are way over toward the "art" end in general; for example, I really dislike watching video if other people in the room are talking, and especially if they're making jokes and sarcastic comments. (I know people who do "MST3King," but I'd rather not watch something than sit through that, because it totally doesn't amuse me.)

If I want something that's more like entertainment, I'll play Settlers of Catan. Or Munchkin, though it's not as much fun.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote