Thread: House Rules
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #37
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post

I HATE the Celestial combat rules. I have an 11 Force Angel who has 28 soul hits per force. And damage? 1d6 on average. Not going to happen unless you are in a mob of enemies. Not at the speeds these Celestials can fly away.

Hmmm. You do have a point --- our group did manage to take down a powerful Shedite celestially, but we had a round or two of surprise, and the Corruptor was seriously overconfident. Even then, it was a long fight.

Here's a few thoughts that come to mind for changing the situation:

Chain Reaction: When Soul hits are knocked to zero in a celestial combat, the check digit of the "killer strike" determines how many Forces are lost (anywhere from the usual one to an awesome 6). Note that this will mean many weaker celestials try to avoid celestial combat altogether ... as they should!

You're Not Going Anywhere: If one celestial seriously "outmuscles" another, they can prevent an escape by grappling. Roll a contest of (Will plus Celestial Forces) when the grab is made. If the victim succeeds, proceed as normal -- he can move at Perception x 3 until he escapes. If the grabber succeeds, the victim can't move at all! Note that two or more celestials can "dogpile" someone to keep them in one spot this way -- the victim has to beat their combined rolls!
(If you want to weaken that last part to make celestial "mugging" more difficult, require a Tactics roll from one of the attackers in order to coordinate effectively.)

You're Not Going Anywhere, Part II: If a celestial has successfully grappled another, they may be able to keep them from slipping away to Heaven or Hell. The attacker can still spend 2 Essence to follow the celestial ... or 4 Essence to hold them on their current plane! Note that this is best done against a weak target whom you expect to finish quickly, since it WILL make a lot of noise while depleting your own reserves considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknop View Post
Years ago, running an In Nomine PBEM, I converted to Fudge. There were two main things that bothered me about the In Nomine rules. First, check digits; the act that how well you did at a task was completely random, as opposed to being related to how good you were at what you were trying, bothered me. ...

Actually, I rather like that. It gives even the most ordinary human a chance to shine, while even the most awesome angel can't count on a deathblow every time. And how good you are at a task still determines *whether* you succeed ... it's just that (under the assumptions of the game's universe) *how well* you succeed may depend on a multitude of factors, of which your personal skill is only one. In some ways, that actually seemed more realistic to me. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 06-30-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote