View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
Bruno

Default Re: Flesh Pocket (UT211) Hygiene

Copper alloys are antibacterial - brass is I understand a better choice than bronze (I don't know if zinc is also a good metal, or it just interferes less). It's traditionally used in door handles and some door knockers, and it turns out this is a good idea.

The Greeks and Romans understood copper, bronze, and brass to be "blessed" choices for surgical instruments, ie patients who had surgery done with these instruments fared better than others. It's certainly within the ability of a TL 3-ish society to notice this sort of thing.

Its protective properties are limited to the proportion of copper in the alloy, as well as the cleanliness of the object. As the object oxidizes (builds up a patina) the surface will be less reactive and thus less protective. It will also leave gross greenish stains which IIRC are irritating to skin.

Keeping e.g. a copper rod in the flesh sheath along with the blade would help, but I have no idea if the copper itself (or the copper oxide forming on the rod) would damage it (or accelerate it rusting). I know just enough to know that two dissimilar metals can have bad reactions, but not enough to know which ones are bad combos.

Silver suffers a patina on the surface as well, and can blacken the skin if not kept clean. It would need regular polishing just like a copper/brass item.

While it's certainly likely that people think keeping a copper or silver object in the pockets is good luck or even specifically wards off sickness, keep in mind that they will also think random other things are lucky as well.

Don't forget herbs - putting fresh herbs in containers to keep them smelling sweet is an ancient practice, and some have anti-microbial or anti-parasitic properties as well (if fresh and changed regularly). Cedar fronds are a good choice, but you will find recommendations for anything fragrant - lots of people still think covering up foul smells to be just as good as cleaning off whatever is causing the smell.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote