View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Parahumans: What types do you think the canon needs, what type would you like to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
mostly what canon needs is types that are rational and productive choices.
So you want BoringButPractical. I'm . . . not sure RPG settings have a dire need of those things.

Quote:
So really you look for unique _and_ highly useful capabilities. A Pandora ends up being a somewhat botched implementation of the Enhanced Time Sense nanosymbiont and isn't really even cheaper. Though in 4e when the nano ins't available til TL11 it is closer to unique but by the rules it's too simple to de-bug genetypes for really buggy ones to be running around but Bio-tech for 4e gives you the de-bugged Prometheus.
Yeah, given that just taking +IQ from a template is not all that different from taking +IQ from personal point expenditures in actual play, getting unique abilities is a good thing for templates. And yeah, nano providing many of those kinda ruins that, since just taking your weekly dose bought for money seems more efficient than buying the equivalent ability with points. When it's available, that is. Incidentally, ETS is explicitly available through nano, which just means that THS has this TL11 goodie in 4e.

Quote:
Especially without the SOD-straining pheromones the Guardian type gives you a good package but personally I'd go for the Herakles. It's problems can generally be fixed with aftermarket stuff and it does maximize IQ and HT.
There's probably no hope for it in the current official incarnation of the gameline, but I really wish people stopped snapping at or retconning the pheromones until they straighten Mars. If Mars stays, canonical pheromones should get a pass too.