View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #75
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Spitballing a Space Opera Boxed Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
So it shouldn't support new space opera?
I'll admit, I haven't read much space opera stories that have been published in the past few years, and the movies/TV that I've watched that I'd say fall into the genre have largely been based on older franchises.

Can you give me an example of recent settings that fall into space opera where the protagonists are significantly technologically enhanced?

As for the discussion of the core activity of the boxed set, I'd argue that you can describe it as "Action adventures in space, with human concerns and motivations". It's not as focused a mission statement as Dungeon Fantasy, it's true, but I'd say it's about as focused as, say, the Action line. I don't think the hypothetical Space Opera boxed set should be as focused as the DF RPG anyway - Dungeon Fantasy is the single most popular sub-genre in the gaming industry, so it can afford to be more focused than other genres can be, I think.

That said, I do think that "Star Patrol" framework is a decent idea to put center-stage in the boxed set. I think it straddles the three sub-genres I've been talking about pretty well. It's a military organization, so there's your military sci-fi. It involves substantial exploring of new worlds and space anomalies, so there's your space exploration. And if the Patrol operates mostly on the fringes of Human Space/The Federation/The Galactic Empire, on a shoestring budget, and has to go into enemy territory on covert missions frequently, that gets you scoundrels in space. There should be discussion of other campaign frames, I think, but making Star Patrol be the default campaign frame makes sense.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote