View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #56
Mailanka

Default Re: Altering the Initiative Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Waiting always changes your sequence, AFAICT.

GURPS turns are about a second, doesn't matter when they start, but they are a sec of action, and your next turn starts a sec after that.

Besides, if waiting didn't change your sequence you'd have people taking two turns in a row, which is clearly wrong.
Can't be true. I once thought as you did, however, if that were so, then certain terminology in the Wait wouldn't make much sense:

Quote:
Do nothing unless a particular
event you specified in advance
occurs before your next turn
And moreover, if we're going to define a turn as "until you take your next action," and we state that wait delays that indefinitely, then we could cast a spell on ourselves that "lasts for one turn" and then keep it going by waiting forever.

I think a turn is better defined as "from your opportunity to choose your action to your next opportunity to choose your action." If it's your turn, my turn, and then Sir Pudding's turn, and you elect to wait, your turn comes around again after Sir Pudding and I choose our actions. You may elect to wait again, or you might have acted after one of our actions, but you always choose your next action before we choose our next action.