View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Mgellis

Default GURPS, 4th edition D&D, and World Books

In an earlier thread...

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=40864

...it sounded as if one of the main reasons SJG does not produce more world books is simply that it lacks the resources--time, staff, etc.--to handle both the production of core books like Powers and High-Tech and also support additional separate lines dedicated to specific settings. Individual world books will appear through e23, but we probably should not expect a new Yrth book every few months or anything like that.

Although regrettable, this is completely understandable.

But we still want those new world books! How do we get them?

I recently read the follow commentary on 4th edition D&D...

http://jediwiker.livejournal.com/57390.html

...and what shocked me was that 39% of polled players say they will not switch to the new version. (And there's another 22% who appear to be undecided.)

So 2 out of 5 (maybe 3 out of 5) D&D players are not interested in the new version. Why? The rules may be one reason. But the lack of support for their favorite settings might be part of it, too. As I have said in some other threads, I think a lot of gamers are attracted more to a setting, mood, etc. than a set of rules. They don't game to create or tinker; they game to lose themselves in a certain kind of fictional world, exactly the way some people enjoy certain movies because those movies let them lose themselves in a particular fictional world.

A lot of D&D players will simply keep playing 3.5 (there is certainly enough material for it). But some of them may have been "shaken loose" by all the recent changes in D&D. How many of them might finally be willing to give GURPS a try if the right setting appeared and was supported?

Of course, we're back to the problem of resources. Even if people were willing to write up the new material, it still has to be edited, artwork still has to be done, etc. It's a big risk for SJG.

One solution (along with e23) might be third party publishers. SJG provides the core rules; the third party publishers coordinate with SJG to create and support specific settings. Again, I don't think these publishers are going to completely drop D&D, but imagine if even two or three of them could be convinced to support a new GURPS setting along with their other product lines.

I'm not pretending this is simple. There are a lot of issues. How can these publishers be convinced to take a chance on a GURPS line? What's involved in getting a license from SJG? And what's in it for these publishers? Not surprisingly, I don't know the answers. But I am curious.

Any thoughts on all this?

Mark

Last edited by Mgellis; 06-13-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote