View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #39
Dienekes

Default Re: Lord of the Rings Dwarf Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedhro
I ever thought about dwarven and elvish craftship not as classic fantasy enchantment, but more as the ability of "awake" inherent magic properties of matter, expecially "noble" matter as silver, gold and mithril, through a mixture of ancient lore, wisdom and technology. Don't know the way to do this in GURPS terms, though...
Agreed. "Classic" fantasy enchantment just feel right. Even the elves didn't know what the hobbits meant by the word "magic", replying with something like "We don't know what you mean by that term. We weave all that we are into the things we make." That's a butchered quote, but it seems clear that the process involves something less separate from the mechanical working of materials than an outright magic ritual.

There has been a lot written over the years about gaming ME magic (mostly because the MERP/RM magic system was such a long way from the feel of Tolkien's descriptions). I don't envy the guy who undertakes to model it!