View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Spaceships as characters—edge cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
A major one is operating spacecraft in atmosphere. The default for Flight (Newtonian Spaceflight) seems to be something like ram-rockets: you have limited delta-V in space, but can fly indefinitely in atmosphere. This is not how many spacecraft work, however. Pure rockets burn fuel just as fast in atmosphere as in space, while some spaceplanes rely on jet fuel for atmospheric maneuvers. In either case, you can use Maximum Duration to represent this. I wouldn't worry about "double dipping" by claiming a discount for both Newtonian Spaceflight on your Enhanced Move(Space) and Maximum Duration on your Flight. "Spaceflight Only" is -75%, so there's nothing unfair about claiming a -50% discount because you can fly in atmosphere, but only for a few minutes (for a pure rocket).
I don't think that's the case. A standard Machine has the property of not eating, but needing to refuel every eight hours. You can take Doesn't Eat or Drink, Reduced Consumption, or Increased Consumption to alter this. You can just define the fuel as its "food," in effect.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote