View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #49
Prince Charon

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I think the notion of HYDRA as the greatest terrorist threat in all five worlds has incredible dramatic appeal, both from the standpoint of story-telling, and as an RPG campaign seed. What happens if they decide to set up shop in, say, Cp-South Africa? Could the mineral wealth, there, become the basis of HYDRA's funding, and the political control become the seed of a Draka-style hegemony? :)
Interesting possibility, given that there's nothing on Clp-Earth that could detect them befor they enter the atmosphere. They'd have to disguise who they were, of course, as Israel has telescopes, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
No, actually, and my usually-serviceable Google-fu isn't helping.

I do know that Japanese gardens are considered havens of quiet reflection, away from the hurly-burly of the external world. So, is it a great honor to be invited into such a private place of repose, or is it a politely Japanese way to say that someone who has lost political power no longer need concern himself with the outside world?
The latter is pretty close, in a way. I was probably too coy about it, omitting the full phrase: 'You have disappointed me. You may use the garden.'

Sepukku is a ceremony that should be performed in contemplative surroundings. One is even expected to write a poem, first. Of course, some are too arrogant or cowardly to follow such a 'suggestion'. That's why Emperors have ninja.

On another note, some links that may be of interest to some, perhaps many, reading this:

For those interested in the food of the period, at least in regard to Britain and some connected regions, the BBC has a fairly useful and entertaining programme on the subject, called The Supersizers... (first series is 'Go...', second series is 'Eat...', pilot is 'Edwardian Supersize Me'). It's available on YouTube, but I'm only linking to part one of each episode, as the rest should be easy to find from there:

For Dieselpunk Britain, see The Supersizers Go... Wartime.

For Steampunk Britain, see The Supersizers Go... Victorian.

For Clockpunk Britain, see The Supersizers Go... Elizabethan.

For Fantasy Britannia (and Armorica and Aegyptus, but mainly Italia), see The Supersizers Eat... Ancient Rome, even if that one's set a few centuries early (also, I think they might have made a mistake with the garum, as that's supposed to take months to get 'good', and I'm not sure they prepared it that long; they may be using a different definition of 'pumpkin' than we're used to, as well).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote