View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #252
Icelander

Default Re: What's with the modesty about stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Yes, of course... But what Sams exactly cooked and how he exactly did it is not described in detail (as far as I can remember)...
Check again. 'taters and a brace of nice coneys, complete with detail on herbs and salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Now, that's not a all a problem. J.R.R. Tolkien remains one of the greatest author I've ever read, because it all depends on the subject of the story. In an adventure full of combats, mysteries and dangers, describing how heroes makes everyone of their lunch in full detail would just be boring!
Not only were several meals Sam cooked detailed, but the role of other characters in procuring the incredients and/or reacting to his culinary choices was explored as well.

And it didn't bore me. In fact, what is much more likely to bore me is a style of storytelling where 'boring' stuff that establishes characters and relationships is glossed over in favour of high-octane action followed by more action. Combat and danger is boring and meaningless if it's happening to characters we don't know.