View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #112
HANS

Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Hans, can you recommend a good, detailed book in English on German military rifles? I Have Götz's book, but the English translation is terrible. It seems to have been done as a word-for-word translation by someone with no knowledge of English-language firearms terminology, leading to phrases like "cartridge bed" in place of "chamber" and the like. It's quite hard work to read.
Not giving the same kind of coverage as DIE DEUTSCHEN MILITÄRGEWEHRE UND MASCHINENPISTOLEN 1871-1945. There are many good books on specific makes or models, I fear if you want something better you have to go there. Alternatively, if you're only interested in specific eras, there are a number of good works on German rifles (usually etc) in WWI or WWII. A surprisingly good overview, including often-lacking data, is John Walter's RIFLES OF THE WORLD. If that's less than you want, you probably really need to invest into several specific books, such as Hans-Dieter Handrich's STURMGEWEHR (StG44 family), Richard Law's BACKBONE OF THE WEHRMACHT (Mauser Kar98K family), or Thomas Dugelby and Blake Stevens' DEATH FROM ABOVE (FG42).

Cheers

HANS