View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #47
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Adventure Guns] The gun cabinet of a Victorian explorer, hunter, Col. (Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Do you have any idea about period prices? If a fairly typical Greener 8-bore double (HT:AG p. 32) cost £25, what would a 4-bore cost?
I have no real information for this. Given that 4-bores work at higher pressures and sell in smaller quantities, but are basically similar in manufacture, I'd feel tempted to multiply by the square of the weight ratio. So, 8-bore is 15lb, 4-bore double is 25lb, that's a weight ratio of 5:3, squared is 25:9, making a guess at the 4-bore price of £70.
Quote:
And do you know what other, less prestigious makers were charging for their 8-bore double rifles?
No. Estimating roughly, it's hard for brand name and quality to support a price factor of more than about 3 over plain-but-decent goods, although it can be much larger over poor quality ones. So I'd expect other makers to be in the range £9 to £20. But the lower-end manufacturers probably won't do 4-bores, just as few modern manufacturers make rifles in .50BMG.
Quote:
What 1/2D and Maximum Range does the 4-bore get over the 8-bore already listed in HT:AG?
I have never got to grips with Douglas Cole's spreadsheet. I'd suspect that 1/2D and Max would scale with the cube root of bullet weight, but I could easily be wrong.
Quote:
But in the mid-'70s, Wilkinson will have been a Captain at the very least, making Major before the Second Anglo-Afghan War, so he's quite likely to have wanted a fancier hunting rifle for medium game than what the common soldiers are carrying. And after 1880, Col. Wilkinson will have had a much higher income and better prospects than ever before and I find it highly plausible that he'll have bought a modern new black powder rifle or two at that time.
Plausibly, but I don't know much about them.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote