View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
hal

Default Re: World Size formulas and GURPS SPACE

Thanks Nemoricus.

I was using a random number generator in VB.net to try and get the random elements filled in (I want to try and detail star systems in THE SPINWARD MARCHES for GURPS TRAVELLER) using elements of GURPS SPACE along with elements of Jon Zeigler's new formulas he posted online subsequent to the publishing of GURPS SPACE.

Part of me simply wants to ignore the stellar data provided with THE SPINWARD MARCHES campaign and start from scratch, part of me wants to try and use as best as possible, the material already there. Worlds with diameters too small to retain water vapor should not have surface water, let alone (in my opinion) free oxygen (if there is no photosynthesis going on to break up the water, the free oxygen combines with other elements and falls out of the atmosphere as no longer being free).

So, I was trying to find a way to explain why worlds of a given atmosphere mass will have a given pressure rating, and reverse engineer worlds in Traveller based on their atmosphere description, etc.

But knowing WHY things are the way they are in GURPS SPACE or GURPS TRAVELLER FIRST IN helps me to understand what it is I'm playing with. ;)

So, thank you.

Addenda: I almost forgot! I was trying to confirm Surface Gravity and World Mass values based on what GURPS SPACE was generating in my code with what GURPS TRAVELLER FIRST IN said they should be. It took a bit of fiddling with the data to make it work out properly, but the two methods in the two books do more or less mach each other.

Last edited by hal; 09-16-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Addenda
hal is offline   Reply With Quote