View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #28
tbeard1999

Default Re: Hold Fire in Ogre/GEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCestero View Post
I get your basic point, and it's not without merit.

However...

The simplest answer to your friends question is:

"Well, in OGRE there are two types of tanks: those in motion, and those on fire. That Light Tank you parked on the waters' edge? Sitting duck for any GEV who gets to pick the time and place and who's ECM is designed to handle an over-water approach. You need to deploy a few miles back so you can ambush it as it becomes vulnerable making landfall. Be a Panzer, not the Maginot Line -- you know how that turned out."
The problem is that this explanation discusses deployment. It doesn't plausibly address my friend's complaint.

Nor does it plausibly address the other issues I raised (being forced to abandon a position without the enemy firing a shot).

I can see no plausible Real World reason that a stationary AFV can't engage a detected enemy AFV when that enemy AFV enters weapon range. Assuming of course, that the stationary AFV isn't shooting at something else or disabled.

The reverse, by the way, is also true. GEV's universe assumes near-omniscience for the tactical commander (an assumption that I find very plausible). So the GEV's should also be able to attack an enemy unit as soon as the GEV moves into range. It should not be required wait until the enemy unit shoots. Absent some system to determine who fires first, the most logical approach would be simultaneous fire. Kinda like the Hold Fire mechanic. That's particularly true since GEV assumes rapid fire weapons with area effect. It's likely that multiple shots are required to kill a target.

Overwatch and "waiting for them to come into range" are fundamental armored warfare tactics and the universe of GEV, as described by the designer, would not change that. I now find their absence disconcerting. Fortunately, it's an east problem to address.

And like me, my friend has been a wargamer for 40+ years.

Quote:
Defense-in-Depth is also a thing.
I agree. But defense in depth won't address the concerns I raised.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 01-13-2018 at 02:59 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote