View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #9
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Parahumans: What types do you think the canon needs, what type would you like to

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
So you want BoringButPractical. I'm . . . not sure RPG settings have a dire need of those things.

Yeah, given that just taking +IQ from a template is not all that different from taking +IQ from personal point expenditures in actual play, getting unique abilities is a good thing for templates. And yeah, nano providing many of those kinda ruins that, since just taking your weekly dose bought for money seems more efficient than buying the equivalent ability with points. When it's available, that is. Incidentally, ETS is explicitly available through nano, which just means that THS has this TL11 goodie in 4e.

There's probably no hope for it in the current official incarnation of the gameline, but I really wish people stopped snapping at or retconning the pheromones until they straighten Mars. If Mars stays, canonical pheromones should get a pass too.
Let's see (in order):

The Herakles is probably neither boring nor practical. It's an explicitly limit-pushing design (and if I'd won an argument during the Fifth Wave playtest it'd be even stronger) and it even gives you an excuse to eat twice as much as normal. That'd be a bummer if we were dungeoncrawlers with backpacks of iron rations but in a super-affluent society with good food everywhere it's a pure plus. It's a red Italian sports car of a genotype.

In the form of the Brain Boosters nanosymbiont ETS is in the TS corebook. It's even 66% cheaper than in bio-tech for 4e. You get the permanent version too rather than relying on weekly doses.

Mars does strain SOD but at least it adds something to the setting. Pheromones only increase the potential for sexual harassment and would probably be lawyered out of existence even if they were possible.