View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
Phantasm

Default Re: GURPS Campaign Prospectuses Best Practices

What I do on my prospectuses is to give a brief description of the game world and genre (e.g. Star Wars, After the End, zombie apocalypse, Monster Hunters, superheroes, etc.), a general idea of what the game is going to be about (space piracy, exploration, survival, intercharacter dynamics, vampires vs werewolves, Cthulhu cultists, etc.), and what level of combat I expect (low, medium, high, non-stop).

I also list systems I'm willing to run the game in.

If I'm doing strictly GURPS, I'll think about point values and put them on. Most of the time, though, I leave them off until I get a good idea as to which game the players are interested in and I get an idea for how powerful I want their PCs.

A recent example, my GURPS Rifts game:

Quote:
Coming of the Devourer

Strange portents and dangerous prophecies abound in this post-post-apocalyptic world of magic and ultra-technology, indicating the coming of an otherworldly invader intent on total destruction. The east coast of North America is to be the front lines; if the menace is stopped early on, then the world can rest safely ... for a short time at least.

Genre: Post-Post-Apocalyptic Action/Adventure
Races: Human, Dog Boy, Psi-Stalker, Shemarrian, any playable race from any of the following books that would plausibly be on the Atlantic Coast during this time period: (insert list of Rifts books).
Expected Combat: Light at first, but quite possibly escalating as time goes on.
Additional Information: Web Page Available.
Possible Systems: GURPS 4e, BESM 3e, Palladium/Rifts.

Please note: If we use the Palladium system, I will be instituting a number of house rules, most notably that non-bionic and non-supernatural characters cannot be M.D.C. creatures. Equipment can be taken from most of these books, but only items that are available prior to 102 P.A. (No "new" Coalition gear.)

Absolutely NO races from Wormwood or Phase World/Three Galaxies, and NO heroic AbM Mechanoids, although I may allow a race or two from Manhunter or Aliens Unlimited. All characters brought in from other Palladium worlds are subject to GMly review, so don't get upset if I reject your character. What I would like to see is a primarily human party.
Another one I tried to run:
Quote:
Spear of Destiny

Contrary to most religious dogma, Christ did not die by being nailed to a cross; he was killed by a Roman soldier's spear (as recorded in John's Gospel). It is said that he who holds the Spear of Destiny holds the fate of the world in his hands. There's just one catch: the Spear has been lost since the Middle Ages.

Hitler is obsessed with the occult, and will stop at nothing to possess the Spear of Destiny. It falls to you to find the Spear before Hitler's Nazis, and they already have a good head start.

Genre: Pulp/Cliffhangers
Races: Human
Expected Combat: Medium
Additional Information: Web Page Available.

This is what I get for watching Constantine and Raiders of the Lost Ark back to back. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-27-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote