View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Refplace

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

{Original Post: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=2117443}

My Gm may want to use stuff from the adventure or Traps so I have not read them. My comments are on the rest.
GM Screen: Nice layout, and dang if it doesnt cover just about everything. Maneuvers and combat penalties of course but also skill probabilities, modifiers, even the Time modifiers. If its in a table its probably here.
DF Adventures: The new templates are WAY easier to read. I want these to be put in the GURPS Style guide! Starts off describing each class in a sentence or two and is just a nice book, easy to read. Spell lists not included in the templates which saves space and makes them easier to read. GURPS tinkerers should be able to figure out the under the hood bits for most traits pretty quickly. A few I was not sure how they were priced but I did not spend more than a moment trying to figure out the harder ones.
Clean and easy to read for a player with just what the player needs.
Spells: Magic with a lot cut out. No enchantments and no spells that go against the DF guidelines, though there are several Gate spells.
Spells are easy on the eyes in format and list the realm they go to. Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
Exploits: First one I opened after the GM screen. I looked up Slam right off and its easier IMO than the original rules but compatible and reasonable. I have not read the entire book but what I did read looked nice and was organized well. Some may find the skill list daunting but the writer calls out that you can easily trim the list and an index is included by attribute type. So that plus the templates should make it less daunting to newcomers.
Magic Items: Kind of a surprising gem here. It draws on some Pyramid articles as well as DF books and GURPS Magic. Really comprehensive with most of the magic items you could make from Magic in here listed with $$ amount. Plenty of new standard stuff but lots of material useful to casters. The unique items had flavor and were nice as well.
Monsters: A solid variety. This is a good starting bestiary for delvers and provides plenty of standard monsters plus some of the ones more unique to GURPS or an obscure research project. These are written up in the DF stat block format and are easy to use. Skill and damage are included and it would be rare a GM should need to look anything else up to run these guys.
No point totals so they wont work with shape change spells or powers but that is my only complaint. And it wont be an issue from what I can see in the DFRPG anyhow.

Overall I am very happy with the books and look forward to seeing them in print.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by PK; 08-18-2017 at 12:20 PM.