View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Phex

Default Re: Random hit location probabilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
The left side of the target is nearer to the right hand of the attacker, which is probably the one holding the weapon. I think I recall, though I can't come up with a reference right now, that archaeologists have found that remains from battle graves tend to have wounds on the left side of the body.
That sounds very reasonable! However, hits to hands and feet have the same probability to hit the left and right side. And what about an attacker who attacks from behind, switching the role of the left and right side? Moreover, for ranged attacks this argument makes no sense at all. Therefore I wonder: is there any deeper concept behind the asymmetry of the hit location table or is it an artifact of older editions? Am I the only one who is confused with these rules?

Recollecting all those arguments I think I would rather prefer a symmetric random hit location table for generic situations. It could easily be achieved by rolling an additional 1d to determine the side for all arm or leg hits as RyanW already mentioned. For melee situations, the left side could be more probable with 1-4 instead of 1-3 or something. Then all limbs would fall under the same rules.
Phex is offline   Reply With Quote