View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA 5.0.199 Cannot Edit Cost/Weight

Okay, lots here.

_New Parent Item is there as a convenient quick way to add an organizational parent item. It is not required. You can make any item into a parent using the right-click menu, selecting Parent/Child and then Mark as Parent. (The Unmark as Parent option removes the 'parent' flag, but does not remove children; the parent flag just lets the item appear in pop-ups as a parent target for assigning children.)

_New Parent Item not asking for tons of information is meant to be convenient, so you don't have to answer tons of questions about something that will often just be used as a 'header' or an organizational tool.

Cost and Weight in the Edit Traits dialog aren't editable there because they're shown as the amounts for the given quantity of items. Base cost and base weight of singular items was considered something that would rarely need to be adjusted, so not editing here didn't seem like a hardship. I can, however, take a look at maybe showing both values and allowing editing of the base values here.

On Advanced Edit Traits, fields shaded with a red background are calculated by GCA. Changing those will not stick, because as soon as GCA calculates the trait again, those valuies will be replaced. GCA also shows a Calculated flag in the description at the bottom of the window for such fields.

If you want to change the base weight or base cost of a trait, you need to edit the basecost or baseweight fields. Those fields are the base values for each single item, rather than the calculated values for the full quantity of items.

The Money attribute is a reference attribute, again for convenience. It has no costs to change levels, as it is only calculated. However, I probably should change that one to use the same costs as the Trading Character Points for Money advantage, which you can use to add value to the Money attribute. You can also change Money by using the Campaign Log to add an entry with a Money value, or you can enter a value for the From Other Sources field. The total of all money entries on this dialog is included in the Money attribute.

The Money value being editable on the sheets or in Edit Traits is currently a shortcoming, I apologize. It's not easy to tell if a trait is meant to be always calculated or just not meant to be adjusted by-level but can be any entered value. I will try to work on addressing that.