View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
JCurwen3

Default Re: Building In Nomine Abilities in GURPS 4e

I'll start!

I think I've captured the Shedim resonance. Let me know what you think. My thought is that my next step is to do a couple of specific Demon Prince "enhancements" to the Shedim resonance next, and then do Kyriotates (since they're not as straightforward as all that).
Standard Shedim Resonance

Entering Host and Controlling His Mind:
Permeation (Living Flesh; Link, +10%; Meld 1, +150%; Terminal Condition, Host reduced to unconsciousness for 30 minutes, -20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%) [12] +
Mind Control (Accessibility, Only on host, -10%; Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Independent, +70%; Link, +10%; Puppet, -40; Rationalization, +20%; Terminal Condition, Host reduced to unconsciousness for 30 minutes, -20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%) [75] + Special Rapport (Accessibility, Only on host, -10%; Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Link, +10%; One Way, +20%; Terminal Condition, Host reduced to unconsciousness for 30 minutes, -20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%; Transferable, +150%) [14]. 101 points.

Full Knowledge of Host's Thoughts:
Mind Reading (Accessibility, Only on host, -10%; Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Cosmic, No penalties for failure, +50%; Reduced Time 1, +20%; Sensory, +20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%; Universal, +50%) [75].

Full Knowledge of Host's Memories:
Mind Probe (Accessibility, Only on host, -10%; Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Cosmic, No penalties for failure, +50%; Invasive, +75%; Reduced Time 1, +20%; Sensory, +20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%; Universal, +50%) [65] ([13] as an alternative ability).

Notes: This is the standard Shedim resonance. The demon must win a Quick Contest of Wills with its intended host. Success means it enters the host's body and can control its host's mind. During this time, the Shedite will have instant and full knowledge of its host's memories, thoughts, and feelings. If the demon attempts to force the subject to act against his principles (e.g., commit suicide or harm a loved one), there is another Quick Contest. If the victim wins, he breaks free, and the Shedite cannot possess him again for 24 hours. 189 points.
Note that I decided against basing this on Possession. GURPS Possession is complete and total control over the target, with no mechanic to allow for Quick Contests of Wills in the face of forcing the subject to go against his principles (including making him do something that could kill him). It also isn't kind to possessing entities that are inside the body when it dies (a Shedite gets a point of dissonance but more or less can shrug off the host dying). And, finally, Possession leaves the victim with no memory - you may have ruined their lives, but you haven't corrupted them, only deeply confused them. So a build with Mind Control and Permeation (Flesh) seemed best.

Further note that I didn't add in a power modifier (I wasn't sure what we were doing with that), and also didn't consider adding things like Low or No Signature (again, didn't know what we were doing about that, whether we were using expanded Low and No Signature rules in Powers and Psionic Powers, and also in light of Symphonic disturbances which would be the signatures of certain abilities I assume). Finally, some of the things that the In Nomine check digit did are not included and again, I wasn't exactly sure what we were doing with that (probably tying to margin of success or failure in GURPS, but applying that to ongoing attempts to use the abilities and also to modify durations seemed... complicated).

I'm hoping for feedback, constructive criticism, corrections where there are errors, suggestions, etc. on the above build.

And as I said, next stop, a couple of Shedite Band Attunements, for Malphas and Saminga. And then Kyriotates.