View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #259
Skarg

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
That was long ago in a college somewhat far away; I don't have our lab notes anymore. I do recall that the results were pretty clear-cut and linear after many trials. Max DX had the best chance of living the longest and continually leveling up. Max ST had the least chance. Mixed balance fell in the middle, with the higher DX end fairing better than the higher ST end. Best option was always to level-up DX before ST.

While the Max DX characters do little damage at first, living longer and leveling up, they steadily improve their ST and damage output.
But it's not true, mainly because they don't tend to do enough damage to win fights. I'm pretty sure you were doing something off. Both from years of playing the game, and from simulations we've run and discussed on the TFT email list, ST 8 DX 16 is not the ultimate 24-point Melee character. There's a healthy equivalence in the middle choices, and the best results in the sims one poster ran (of 1-on-1 duels) was IIRC the ST 11 DX 13 spear user, but not by that great of a margin, and assisted perhaps by some assumptions about the situation.

ST 8 in particular in Melee means you use a Sling (1d-2) and a Dagger (only good in HTH combat, where your low ST will also reduce your damage and your opponent will get +4 to hit you so your DX advantage would be negated).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote