View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #246
JLV

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
Back in the late '70s my expectations were that I'd someday see... The Space Trip: In the Starship...? Forty years later I'd love to see it (and more importantly, fork over my hard earned cash!) as part of the reboot.

The nuts and bolts of this are I expect to see TFT as a Kickstarter. I'm VERY picking about Kickstarters, but if this KS were to include reprints of the original Micros, along with a hardback or boxed set of TFT, and with stretch goals of: dungeon tiles, outdoor tiles, MicroQuest map tiles, heavy cardstock counters or stand-ups, a bestiary, Tollenkar's Lair, a Cidri campaign book, a Space Trip rulebook, and a Western rulebook, I'd be in for $150 or $200.
Honestly, the same here. I was in to Designer's Edition Ogre to the tune of over $300, and for a complete TFT I'd go substantially higher.

And, equally honestly, I think TFT is an excellent mechanism to explore alternate genres in a very simple and robust fashion. Having said that however, I can't imagine that Steve Jackson Games would set up a second system that directly competes with GURPS in it's intended (and specifically designed -- unlike TFT) role. In many ways it's bad enough that it will directly compete with Dungeon Fantasy (indeed, the reason I heavily backed Dungeon Fantasy was because I was hoping for something closer to TFT that I could work with). Now arguably, DF is a much crunchier version of fantasy than TFT, and that will definitely allow it to compete for a certain share of gamers in it's niche, but I suspect that the two (DF and TFT) will actually hurt each other's sales to some extent over time. So there's more than just the possibility that you CAN do something at stake for SJGs here -- there's also the question of SHOULD you. I suspect that many ideas are up in the air both among us, and over at SJG right now, and the "good idea cut-off point" has not yet been reached, but as SJG firms up their plans a lot of things that are floating around right now will wind up in the wistful "might-have-been" category...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote