View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #234
JLV

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDiceManCometh View Post
I'll toss in another couple of unasked for pieces of advice.

Meaningful characters make stories. Compelling stories sell fictional settings. The other crucial thing to sell RPGs in fictional settings is a really good game system synergistic with said setting. You already have that last thing. So, this time around, try to infuse Cidri with compelling narratives.

Plus also: You already have a game line that is a toolbox (GURPS). So TFT, being single-genre, is setting-centric.

So... I'd tap somebody like Corey Doctorow, Ken Hite, or some other talented writer willing to crank out some classic Fantasy and weave some powerful narrative IP around Cidri. That would give the product line real legs. Budget constraints of course, dictate feasibility. But do you want to resurrect TFT for a short game or a long one?
THIS! The game system has held up extremely well overall for forty years, even without the attention of the actual designer (which makes it pretty darn robust, in my mind); so the foundation is well in place. And TFT is clearly a niche product compared with GURPS. Superior and compelling narrative for the game would be the piece that really would make TFT beyond exceptional, and which all the myriad GURPS setting books soundly prove to be an area of real expertise for SJG.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote