Thread: cauldrons
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #49
Polydamas

Default Re: cauldrons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson View Post
Dan, you are about the last person I'd quarrel with about this, but if (as WHS set the parameters) looking at TL3, I would think that we'd be looking at a copper smith (white smith?) as the craftsman not someone with armory skill.
The way GURPS breaks up metalworking skills does not really reflect how things work before the 20th century. Armourers trying to understand how rich societies made helmets spend a lot of time studying bucketmakers in Turkey or Italy and coppersmiths in Mexico. Guild rules might artificially restrict who can work on what in a town ("stop right there! you are a shoemaker, you can't repair a shoe! That is work for a cobbler") but in 15th century Europe, the copperworking guilds made gauntlets and headpieces and other armour.

Regardless, you start with a thick ingot and work it into the shape you want. This is fundamentally different from our approach in the age of rolling mills, where we start with a thin sheet.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is online now   Reply With Quote