View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #211
Icelander

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Spending 1k to kill someone wearing much more than 1k of loot able enchantment dripping armor is always a good deal

Its just an issue of how many 1k shots are needed
Just so.

Note that a charge of of smokepowder and a non-magical bullet for a .60 caliber caliver comes to 'only' around $25 to $30. If the PCs ever manage to get a reliable supply of the exotic incredients and some of the apprentice alchemists in their employ get proficient enough, that price might drop down to $10 a shot.

That's still enormously expensive compared to the cheap black powder available in the real world, well over an order of magnitude more expensive,* but it's well short of the opportunity cost of a magical item, such as a fairly powerful magic arrow or a Javelin of Lightning, that would allow a common soldier to plausibly threathen, say, an elite guard or a knight with DR 8-10 armour at range.

An attractive element of Fine (Accurate) rifles is that the cost for the charge is similar, even if the gun itself is three or four times more expensive.**

*A real-world musket shot is less than half a GURPS $, i.e. $0.50, 0.2% of the current cost my PCs are paying and 5% of their best case price.
**It actually makes little sense to make $150 to $300 firearms in a world where ammunition cost is a tenth of that each time you fire them.