View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Humabout

Default Re: What's my counterpoint for this observation about advantages/disadvantages?

Points are an overall measure of capability across all types of challenges. A filthy rich PC has a ton of options open to him, even if he is wheelchair-bound.

For example,

I had a player create a sort-of "summoner" for a DF game. He decided to make the stereotypical obnoxious rich-boy who has gotten by on his money, of which he has lots. The PC had only low levels of Sword Sport (he was versed in courtly shows of skill, not real combat) and lacked any other combat usefulness. He did, however, have money enough to hire tons of hirelings and justify Ally Groups for his personal staff - two of whom carried him through the dungeon on a sedan chair! He was at least as effective in combat as anyone else because he could snap his fingers and half a dozen guards would swarm opponents. In a social context, he had money enough to bribe anyone who was bribeable, and as a result of his money had access to Contacts. That he chose not to use his legs didn't change the fact that he sat on his butt while his money overcame challenges.

Now that was a TL3 game where he couldn't buy firearms he could shoot from his sedan chair (and he wouldn't have if he could - that was the Help's job!). He certainly couldn't hire computer analysts and researchers to foil plots, armies of lawyers to make the Enemy's life a legal hell, scientists to develop superscience gadgets, or even buy cutting edge powered exoskeletons to help with the no-walking thing.

You'll find that the higher the TL, the more powerful Wealth becomes. Even at TL8, it's got scary implications (Hey team, I bought us a tank!), but it gets even crazier at TL9+

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote