View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #19
whswhs

Default Re: Psionic Powers: Question about a build

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Further as personal note: I would likely not allow an afflicted warp without "blind only" in my games unless the range is really limited as it would allow short circuiting too many things.

Things like:
"GM: The bad guy is doing a TV ransom demand from unknown location. Player:I will warp a tracking device to his pocket"
"GM: You all wake up after being abducted. You are tied up but can see and hear that you are in the freight compartment of an airplane. Player: I will look around so I can visualize this place later, warp all of us home, ask my servant to untie us, grab guns and warp us back to the plane"
and so many of others.
Well, your second example seems to be Autoteleport, as otherwise your friends will go to your home, but you'll still be in the plane. And if it's Autoteleport you don't need to afflict them; you just need to pick them all up before you warp!

If you want to avoid that sort of thing, Warp also offers Range Limit, which incidentally makes it cheaper again—-40% for 100 yards, which is a plausible combat range.

The other question that occurs to me: How does preparation time figure into this?

Do you still need the preparation time to avoid the penalties? If so, do you do the preparation, and then afflict, and then do the warp? Or do you afflict, and then take however long a preparation you choose, and then do the warp?

Or do you not need the preparation? I note that Afflict says, "The victim immediately exxperiences the effects of a specific physical or mental advantage." And a little lower it adds, "e.g., Warp immediately teleports the subject." That could be read as saying that you get an immediate Warp, and you disregard the whole business about penalties for instantaneous use, and spending FP, and buying Reliable, and make an unmodified roll, as if you'd taken 30 seconds to prep for Autoteleport.

Though another way to read this is to say that you must apply the Warp instantaneously after doing the Affliction, AND you still suffer the -10 modifer, unless you bought it off with Reliable or by spending massive FP.

What do you think?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote