View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #95
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Issues with Retreating Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
One little point I noticed, where I would like to know the RAW way:

That is an interesting point, I am not so sure about that, at least there is room for interpretation... I would be very interested in the "official" answer ;)

From a generic viewpoint, IMHO, defenders react to the _anticipation_ of the incoming attack.

I wonder if there is a strict rule that forbids a player to come up with a defense (though "unneeded try") against a failed attack at times...?
(Normally, of course, we don't want that just to streamline things, having faster combat!). I would have thought the reasoning for the retreat option is basically the strong will to survive, to avoid the attack etc., but then it could well be we _just feel_ it is very close and we have to get out quickly...

As a GM I would probably allow that just for logical reasons, if the player asks for it. For me I think it would make less sense if e. g. trying to parry a weapon that was trying to hit me, but failed, would generally not be allowed. ...for instance it could also be of relevance that I would like both weapons to connect physically.
There's nothing at all in the RAW that offers you any such option.

Variant rules where you defend against attacks before you know whether they succeeded are certainly a thing, but they are variants.