View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 12:26 AM   #253
transmetahuman

Default Re: (Another) World of Superhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
For the population dynamics to occur as previously stated, the majority of people have to have 'small' dreams in order to have 100- CP of abilities (Class Is). From what I remember of my adolescence during the early 90s, I spent most it trying (without much luck) to hook up with pretty girls, and I really doubt that I am unique. Of course, the dream of spaceflight was powerful before I turned 13, but I was dreaming of my female peers by the time that I was 14. If I had awakened at age 15, I likely would have been a Class I (Class II at the best), as going out with a girl seemed a lot more attainable than going into space.
If this whole thing is about fitting the setting to the predetermined power level frequencies, it's simple enough to declare that there's some other factor involved, rather than argue about whose dreams are small.

Power level could be completely random, or be determined by some combination of (pre-template) Will, how urgent the need is (this plane will hit the ground in twenty seconds vs it's been a really lonely summer break), how rested the person is, how close to a dream state the person is - or how clear-headed they are, how healthy the person's body is, how hungry they are for power, how crazy they are (a variation on Mac Scientist Syndrome), how "pure of heart", and/or whether they have a burning need for this one power specifically versus or their desire is diluted by indecison or desire for many powers...

Could be anything, and there's no need to even decide on a rule. Maybe no one knows why. It's simply a fact that there are a lot fewer strong powers than weaker ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Also am I really odd that when I was a kid I tried to move objects with the power of my mind and lift a car just in case I might spontaneously manifest superpowers? Not to mention the flying dreams.
Not if I'm any standard. Heck, I still gesture at automatic doors and make a whoosh sound on occasion.

Last edited by transmetahuman; 09-20-2020 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Added a quote
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote