Thread: TFT Map Maker
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #31
Shadekeep

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Whew, you all are giving me a lot to work on, but it's good stuff and hopefully will improve the tool for everyone. I'll address the latest items here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
Request: Is it possible to get custom levels of zoom rather than just the stepped ones?
Yes, I've added several additional zoom levels now. They aren't strict double/half steps now, but more graduated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Perhaps an ambitious feature, but I found myself wishing for a line drawn with the partial-hex options (like Flat Half or Point Half).
My frustration with that is what led me to add the Skip Line, but yes, I think I can actually implement a Smart Line that will use the current Component to alternate the hexes for you.

One change I've made to the Line function now is that it locks to pure horizontal/vertical/diagonal lines. This should bypass the wonky angled line rendering of previous versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
A related observation: the new rotate/flip tools for the partial hexes save a lot of menu space. But you can't see their effect -- in fact, they apparently do nothing -- until you move the cursor back over the hex map proper. Perhaps the cursor should keep its partial-hex shape even over the menus, so you could see it rotate around as you click those buttons?
I can't easily retain the hex shape on the cursor outside of drawing canvas, but I've added a Preview next to the Rotate/Flip tools, so that you can see what the current drawing brush looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'm not sure where you are headed next with this project, but if you pm me the relevant contact info I would be happy to send you a set of hex-based icons I developed for creating TFT maps of various scales, from tactical (1.5 m per hex) to regional (multiple km per hex).
Very kind of you to offer! However, everything on the canvas is a polygon draw, not a bitmap, so I am creating simple polygon symbology to use with the maps. I will be trying to reference the mapping standards in creating those, but they will be simpler than what one can do with pixels or pen-and-ink. The plus side is that they will scale cleanly, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't think it is 'fixable', so this is just a sort of loose end of the whole hex/megahex system.
Yes, it looks like it will be a challenge applying drawings consistently across these kind of transformations. That's why I'm focusing on one-hex scale mapping at the moment. It's the most fine-grained, and thus gives me a working baseline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyVictor View Post
EDIT: Being able to make Traveller (8-column, 10-row) star charts with this would augment its utility for other gamers. Only a few symbols would be required (arid world, water world, gas giant, naval base, etc.)
Shouldn't be a problem to implement that down the line. I do plan to get the ability to specify the grid size in there fairly soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Shadekeep - I'd like to give you an advance look at an actual TFT labyrinth map. Your app looks like it's only a few short steps from being able to generate maps that look just like ours, and those steps could go faster if you knew what ours looked like. Contact info? sj@sjgames.com
Sounds good, email sent.

Please check out the latest changes and see what you think. I slightly rearranged the tools again, moving Rectangle/Area to the fore and then grouping the Line tools after. The Preview tool is not meant to be clickable, it just displays the current painting brush. I am working on the Load Map and Smart Line functionality next.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote