View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #10
Refplace

Default Re: [RPM] Low-End Grimoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
As for the low-end spells, I think my goal was to come up with more than just a couple that fell into the "under 5" category - those that you could likely fuel without any gathering, if the need arose - and then under 10, then under 20 - spells that even though they demand some energy gathering of all but the most spectacularly powerful mages, would still be practical on the fly, or as charms for non-adepts of more moderate skill.
Going by my experience at reg magic from 100 to 500 point levels I would say a 20 energy spell is pretty doable and an easy cast.
Magery 2 gives you 18 energy and likely skill 14 in your major Paths and probably all of them.

The dynamic from regular Magic is different but the net effect is comparable with an edge to the RPM mage.
A regular mage with those skills would cast 1 or two spells for free at skill 15 but in most fights struggle to get off s many as 3 spells and then need some downtime to rest.
A RPM mage could easily toss one decent spell of almost any kind and have prepared a dozen conditional rituals that take no effort or time to cast.
Need less downtime to refill the ER but more time to redo the conditional spells. Without tapping into your ER you can still get your 20 cost spells off though not in most combat/melee situations.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote