View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
PK

Default Re: [RPM] Low-End Grimoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
I've laid hands on the RPM PDF, and the biggest problem I have with the Grimoire as presented at the back of the book is that nine out of ten of the spells cost far in excess of a reasonable amount of energy.
I assume that "nine out of ten" was intended as hyperbole, since I took the time to plot out the energy costs of all of the spells to ensure that all ranges of power were represented, from 2-energy spells to 350-energy ones.

Personally, when I don't have any better context and must roughly approximate, I use "30 energy" as my guiding star for what a skilled caster could be expected to reasonably whip up on the spot. I lost my spreadsheet during a problematic OS upgrade, but by my quick hand count there are 82 spells in the grimoire chapter, 37 of which cost 30 energy or less

So a little more than half of the sample spells are high-energy, while a little less than half are low-energy. The reason for the slight weight toward high is that expensive rituals tend to be more complex and tricky, and it was important to illustrate how to build such things in RPM. After all, the primary goal of Chapter 4 was to illustrate how to use the system to build your own rituals -- having it serve as some sort of "official grimoire" for campaigns was secondary.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote