View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #78
Dalin

Default Re: GURPS DF / DFRPG Random Dungeon Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
"Let There Be A Method To Your Madness" Dragon #10 (October, 1977) gives some pointers.
That was a formative article in my early gaming days. Not only did it change the way I designed dungeons, but I learned a pile of new vocabulary. I clearly recall the room with the dark stains that were from a former occupant, an old sergeant, who chewed tobacco and would expectorate toward his cuspidor (and miss, as often as not). Cuspidors have remained a not uncommon element of dungeon dressing in my games ever since. (And I'm fairly certain I have never used the word outside of a gaming context.)

In GURPS, the History and Ancient History spells make it much more likely that PCs might actually get to figure out some of these funky details.

The article's advice, however, seems quite a bit easier to apply as an intelligent designer rather than as a computer algorithm. I could see, however, there being a system whereby rooms have some sort of original purpose (or a general theme is randomly generated first, and the dressing of the rooms follows that theme).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote