View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #98
Astromancer

Default Re: What Do You Want For Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
One of the appeals of Yrth is that it's a bit more medieval, say, good Hollywood medieval, rather than steam punk or such. Still the effects of magic on society can have a few interesting outcomes. Many of these will be available to the rich and powerful without much improving the lives of peasants.

Reduced mortality rates, improved crop yields, drought and pestilence mitigated, better lighting, better evidence. One might argue that these things would lead to a more advanced society, but as necessity is the mother of invention they might actually slow it down. You can also argue that it cancels out by the time you have curses and demons and magic being used to undermine evidence. As Yrth is a medival fantasy setting I'd err towards the impact cancelling out but have extreme examples of the good and bad here and there.

As for the other realms, I suspect the worlds that gave Yrth Satrys, Centaurs, Goblins, and Trolls still exist. I would further suggest that demons come from such a world rather than being philosophically extraplanar beings. It's not a Cthulhu setting but it's easy enough to add such entities if you want them. But just suppose there are actually two or more Banestorms and they each have their own agendas.
A pdf on the worlds from which Goblins, Lizard Men, Centaurs, Hobbits, Merfolk, et al, come from would be very nice. It should A) offer these as alternate fantasy settings, B) give material for campaigns involving groups landing on Yrth after a Banestorm, and C) provide ideas for campaigns on Yrth because of persons, ideas, and things, brought from these worlds.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote