View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #13
Icelander

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
In regards to arming agriculture inspectors, they might stumble across a terrorist chemical weapons test site, such as Banjawarn Station, in remote Western Australia, which was used by Aum Shinrikyo to develop their sarin production.
If the campaign over develops an international scope of that breadth, we very well might.

For the moment, our characters are in North America. What I know*, but not my character, is that our first 'mission' will be set on Jewel Island, a small (real) island 8 miles away from Portland, Maine and reachable by ferry, within the (fictional**) Manhanock Asylum for the Criminally Insane. We are not armed, carry only generic ID that attests to our temporary status as 'consultants' to the DHS (and expires the day after in the case of my PC) and are accompanied by two Special Agents of the Office of the Inspector General of the DHS and a smooth-talking goverment lawyer whom we met at the DHS headquarters (though we are unclear as to where he is usually employed).

My character is still officially an enlisted man of the US Army convicted at court martial and stripped off all rank, pay and entitlements. As such, he is merely temporarily remanded from the USDB at Forth Leavenworth into the custody of the Department of Homeland Security, allegedly in connection with a sensitive national security investigation that he might be able to provide helpful intelligence in regards.

The other PCs are one of the Special Agents of the OIG*** and a former US Army psychiatrist who used to work in Project Jade Serenity, now temporarily employed by the DHS as a civilian contractor. Our purpose in being there is to speak with an inmate who was a 91X (now 68x) Mental Health Technician at Camp Mackall when the Project was active. She is usually far from helpful when questioned and as it is vital that she divulge information that the Onyx Rain planers believe that she might have about former CW2 Raul Vargas, we were asked to persuade her. Michael Anderson, the psychiatrist, was her boss for a year and they were fairly close and my character, (then SPC) Mackenzie Chase Taylor, was her best friend at the base.

If we succeed and perform well enough for our handlers to trust us, we will be sent to talk to some more people. That time, however, we will probably carry weapons, because those people are former and current members of the 7th SFG(A), Green Berets, and they are AWOL in a small town or village in Mexico, near the US border, in an area formerly controlled by Los Zetas and currently under the control of either the Knights Templars or by the American Green Berets.

*Because the GM does not have much experience of technotriller/action/covert ops games and asked me to provide research and GURPS-statting assistance.
**Well, we are using pictures and maps of Danvers State Hospital / Danvers State Insane Asylum and inspiration from that place. But the location on the island, the status as both a satellite facility for St. Elizabeths Hospital and as a black research facility into psychoactive and nootropic drugs are entirely fictional. As are the highly unethical experiments, animal and human, which took place there during the Cold War. All of these, however, are firmly based on things which did happen in other places, albeit perhaps not quite as spectacular in results, if every bit as morally objectionable.
***Technically, he is CBP special agent on assignment to the DHS Office of Intelligence & Analysis (I&A) who has been temporarily detached to Onyx Rain and is carrying entirely fraudulent ID (though probably with the connivance of the OIG).