View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #10
Skarg

Default Re: Weapon Mastery, the long and winding road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
But that is just it, the rules as they stand now, encourage you to game the system by getting IQ talents from start instead of earning them. In short, you get a bonus of 500xp for every talent you buy up front compared to buying them later. And since there is no real difference between different kinds of attributes DX is as much about Skill development as IQ, for those talents or weapons that roll against that attribute. And a fighter being a Conan from the start or a genius with good training is pretty much equal in my eyes, and it is equal according to XP progression, except for you losing out on XP if you go with one and not the other first. The super experienced person is the one with a huge number of talents more than their IQ. And if you get the "best" talents from the start you will miss out on other talents and be less effective in a fight or physical areas or magic, etc. They are all good trade-offs.
I quite agree with you on this and some of the other things you just posted (except for the parts I colored yellow, which I don't understand what you mean, but probably doesn't matter).

However it seems to me that is a core problem with only listing 500 XP per talent point as the only way to learn talents and spells. (My house rule solution is to keep the old TFT way of learning talents/spells, and adding more, similar to what you just suggested.) There are multiple threads about this in the House Rule subforum, where this thread probably belongs.

That is, I don't think it's just about Weapon Mastery - it's about the apparent RAW cost in Legacy edition of learning new talents.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote