View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Varyon

Default Re: Spaceships vs Bioships (BIO98)

I haven't used them yet, but I intend to have the only known alien* species in the space opera setting I'm occasionally working on use bioships. This species has several possible forms an adult can take, which is set for each individual during the metamorphosis from a grub. The basic body structure is vaguely insectoid, albeit with bifocal, mammalian eyes. They have a hard exoskeleton, a head with strong mandibles, 8 legs, 4 wings, and a long tail. Only one known morph appears to be sapient - these have enlarged skulls and are bipedal, with the front-most limbs functioning as arms, the second and third pair being small grasping hands, the wings being mostly nonfunctional, and the tail having a spike on it. Other morphs appear to have animal intelligence and will typically obey the sapient morphs.

The bioships are the largest known morphs. They do not appear to be able to function in atmosphere, but their wings can interact with hyperspace**, allowing them to maneuver in space. They can use their legs to grapple and their tail to strike. They are hollow inside, having a single large internal chamber, which the sapients modify with partitions, control stations, and so forth. Adjacent to this chamber is a womb where new grubs - genetically identical to the ship - are produced Most are augmented with retractable beam weapons and comm/sensor suites and are considered to be cybernetic. Very young bioships are much faster and more maneuverable, carrying a single passenger (or several passengers for slightly older ones) and function as hybrid fighter/boarding craft.

I intend to build the bioships with Spaceships rather than using BioTech guidelines.

*Actually an engineered race created by humans, but very few are in the know or even suspect this.
**Interacting with hyperspace for maneuvering gives the bioships pseudovelocity and pseudoatmospheric handling, although the large ones behave more like airships than airplanes. The bioships are actually able to enter and exit hyperspace much more easily than human ships, but are extremely vulnerable there - beam weapons don't work properly in hyperspace, and the aliens seem loathe to use projectiles, so the bioships can't fight very well, and a single penetrating hit will kill one and its entire "crew."
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote